First post, Arizona creek for Apache Trout

This is my first post / blog. I probably don't know what I am doing but here goes.
I will add many more posts but I will have to backdate them. I have many cool trips I would like to post about. A little about me...I have picked up fly fishing as a hobby. It's pretty much all I think about doing and I constantly research places to go. I start all my travels from Las Vegas. My girlfriend has also picked up trout fishing and enjoys it just as much as I do which is awesome. We both completed the Utah Cutthroat Slam, number 89 and number 90. I find it as one of the best things I have done with the traveling and seeing native trout. I am working towards Nevada, California, Arizona, and Wyoming's trout programs as well. It makes me see places I would not other wise see. Anyways, I will post more about my self later but here goes.

My last trip was in Arizona, it was a creek on the south end of a mountain looking for Apache Trout. I have been researching about this creek for awhile. My girlfriend and I left Vegas the day prior to fish some creeks which I thought would be accessible. The snow was around 6 feet high making things impossible. We decided to stay the night in a hotel and leave to the creek in the morning. I don't have a truck which makes things even harder. We had to park in the desert and walk up towards the mountain. The views were awesome and I did enjoy the hike in. Around 2 miles in, I noticed trout in the water and started fishing. I found a nice hole and dropped a nymph in and immediately caught a nice rainbow/apache hybrid trout. I know in the lower stretches of this creek you probably won't find a pure Apache Trout. Rainbows have hybridized with the Apache's. The trout caught in the lower end mostly look like rainbows but you can see distinct differences in them resembling Apache Trout. We kept hiking up the creek towards where it forked off. We were looking for a waterfall and above the fall would be pure Apache Trout. We were not able to make this due to day light and snow. Prior to the waterfall I dropped a line and caught an apache hybrid. This one resembled more of the Apache in its coloring. My girlfriend kept getting strikes from a stubborn hybrid. She finally got him hooked on. We didn't catch many fish but we didn't care. It was better than being in Las Vegas or work. Also going somewhere I have been researching is half the pleasure! In the pictures, take notice of the band on the eyes of the fish, this is a characteristic of the Apache Trout. Maybe next time I will make it above the falls!

Hopefully I can create a blog that people find interesting. I have come across many blogs that have influenced me to create this. I'd also like to connect with others who enjoy trout fishing as much as I do. I am secretive about the places I go to but sometimes I don't mind sharing info with trustworthy people.

Enjoy this blog! Also look up my Instagram, "lasvegasog". I have lots of fishing pictures there.
All fish are catch and release.

















Comments

Post a Comment