Took a quick trip for some native Bonneville Cutts!

I decided to take a quick 3 hour fishing trip to a small overgrown creek to catch some native Bonneville Cutthroat Trout. I left Las Vegas at 6 am and made it to my secret creek around 815 AM. It was relatively chilly at this time. I noticed the stream had a high murky flow which I realized was going to make it impossible to catch anything. I walked downstream for about 20 minutes trying to fish various pools. I got no strikes and kind of figured I wouldn't. I thought maybe these trout were still sluggish due to winter and maybe they weren't kickstarted into winter yet. I was pretty tired at this time so I figured at least I came out to see that the trout weren't active at this time. I hiked back to my car and figured I could head back to Las Vegas and get a nice nap in a decent time. I sat in my car and thought to myself, well I am here might as well head to the headwater and maybe I can catch something. I drove around 6 miles to the base of the mountain and found a nice pool around a rock. I threw my fly in and saw a quick flash of a trout. I missed the fish. I did get hope of catching at least one fish. I followed this overgrown brushy stream for a 1/8 of a mile. I lost 5 good fish because I could not reach my net in time and I lost some fish in the rapids of this high flow of the creek. I finally landed 2 small trout. I really wanted to see a larger trout so I found a nice pool where I could see one swimming looking for food. Luckily I was able to land this nice male Bonneville Cutthroat Trout with some of the best colors ive seen on one. I was satisfied with my catch and back off to Las Vegas for my well earned nap.

















Comments

  1. Nice post!. That last buck cutthroat was good size for that creek. I'm pleased to see your blog is progressing. I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment