First Apache Trout ( sorta )

So I have been researching about Apache Trout for awhile and always wanted to see one. I drove from Las Vegas the first time all the way to the east part of Arizona almost near New Mexico in search of Apache Trout. In one day I made it from Las Vegas to the destination and back to Vegas. I fished 4 different creeks and never saw a trout. One creek normally has tons of the trout. Nonetheless I saw awesome creeks and views. I was bummed I didn't catch one but its better than being in Vegas.


On the way back, I read an article (Legal to fish in) about a population of Apache Trout in a remote  stream. The following week, my girlfriend Hollie and I made the trip there to attempt to catch Apache Trout. Also a new species for her. I parked my Passat truck on a dirt road and hiked a trail down a canyon. It was a couple miles zigzagging down. We located the stream and I immediately saw in a pool a trout. I was excited to see this and knew this was an Apache Trout due to its yellow color. These Apache in this small stream are a pure strain of Apache.


I  located a nice pool and dapped my fly in. A large Apache came up and took the fly aggressively. Hollie proceeded to a pool below and did the same. In one hole, we probably caught ten Apache. This was a productive day for trout fishing.


The hike up the mountain was brutal and we stopped to die several times. Enjoy the pictures.



 My first Apache Trout
 Hollie's first Apache



 How you cross a creek Hollie style
 This creek is extremely overgrown and bushy.




























 The truck

Comments