Utah Cutthroat Slam, Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout.

This is going to be one of my favorite fishing trips ever. I don't know why but it was the coolest place I have been to and some of the best fishing. I don't mean the best fishing by catching fish after fish but catching a native fish ( a Yellowstone Cutthroat ) in the smallest stream ever. I did a lot of research prior to entering this mountain range in a remote place of Utah to catch Yellowstones. I have never caught one before so I was intrigued to catch one! I have Instagram ( username "Lasvegasog" ), fortunately I was able to ascertain some information from people in reference to this mountain range. Out of all the fish in the Utah Cutthroat Slam this was the one that worried me. I was worried about my car getting there as well as finding fish.

Hollie and I left Logan, Utah, around 5 am to drive around 3 hours. I am an idiot and accidentally ended up in Idaho. I have never been to Idaho so it worked out! I like saying I have been to places I have never been to. We finally made it to the mountain range we needed to be at. We started off by following a small trickle of a creek for around 3 miles never seeing a fish. This killed my spirits and It was sinking in that we may not complete the Utah Cutthroat Slam. I looked at a couple maps and we decided to hike about a mile to another creek. This creek looked slightly bigger than the previous one. I still didn't see any fish but dropped a small nymph in a small pool of water while looking towards Hollie's direction. I felt a tug on my 2 wt rod and to my surprise ( and wasn't trying ) I pulled up a small Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout. My first Yellowstone and only so far ever! I was happy to get the hardest species out of the way. It was Hollie's turn next!

This creek was extremely hard to find fish in. Finally we found a small pocket of water with a small log. Hollie found a small Yellowstone Cutthroat who decided to make this log his home. This little bastard hit around 15 different fly's but would not hook. After hours of fishing this creek this was her chance to catch one. We didn't care the size either. Hollie would get close to hooking this fish but he just wouldn't latch on. Finally about half hour later and with our frustration, this little bastard finally hooked himself and Hollie made sure he was in her hands! I was just as excited. We photographed this guy and we both had the Yellowstone. By no means was it a large fish but to this day it is one of the most memorable and awesome trout I have ever seen. This fish means more to me ( and her I hope! ) than most. 3 of 4 Utah Cutts down !
This was the drive into the mountain range, thank god it was Passat friendly!

While hiking, this kinda was weird, this log was smoking. I couldn't figure it out!

The Snychez and I

Pretty cool hike going into these Pine Trees!
My first Yellowstone Cutt!



I like this picture, she stood her for around half hour getting this awesome little fish

Hollie's first Yellowstone!


You can see the arsenal of flies we tried on this little bastard in the background. I love this picture.

The little bastard.




Practicing her self defense!


Comments